Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tuition Tantrem

I recently started a semester of college at the University of Utah. I normally have four classes each semester, but as it turns out, I only have one class. It is reasonable to assume that only having one class would significantly reduce the tuition cost. I fell victim to this line of thinking. As it turns out, the cost of one three credit class at the University of Utah is close to 1,200 dollars. If there were ever an opposite of Robin Hood, this is it. Robbing from the poor to give to the rich isn't exactly what I would call "being the hero". This is not where the terror ends. The textbook that I purchased for this one class sold for a whopping 185 dollars! Sometimes I feel like I am being kicked while I am down. Sure they no longer charge tax on textbooks, but the real victory would come in a lowering of the cost of textbooks. If there ever was a way to make a grown man cry, this is it.

No comments: